[vls-devel] Re: FIXED: DVB freeze when New PAT received

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Wed Oct 2 15:11:06 CEST 2002

Eric Petit <titer at via.ecp.fr>:

> >     // Kludge: signal the first PAT arrival.
> >     m_cEndInit.Protect();
> >     m_cEndInit.Signal();
>
> We are testing the vls CVS here at the ECP residence, and commenting
> this `Protect()' line actually fixes the freezes we had about every
> hour; our server has yet been running for 2 days without a problem.
> Does
> anyone plan to fix this in the CVS ? (by a cleaner way, maybe)

No, because you always have to take the mutex before sending a signal
on a condition. However, I wonder why there is no Release() after
Signal(). If you do never release the signal, you will systematically
end up with a deadlock. I surprised to see that Release() isn't used
for every Protect() in this code.