[vls-devel] Re: reducing latency

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at wxs.nl
Fri Oct 4 13:53:56 CEST 2002

Jorrit Adriaanse wrote:
> I am trying to use videolan for interactive videostreaming, but am
> getting relatively high delays between my MPEG2 stream and my videolan
> client.
It actually takes about 3 seconds of a 8 Mbps stream. This is due to
filling it's buffer. Reducing the 3 seconds is possible by changing this
code in src/modules/localinput/localinput.cpp:

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------//
Start the reception of the given program
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
void C_LocalInput::OnStartStreaming(C_Broadcast* pBroadcast)
{
   ASSERT(pBroadcast);

   // We choose a TS packet buffer able to store up to 3s of stream at 8
Mbits/s
   C_NetList* pTsProvider = new C_NetList(3*3*797);

}

into something like this

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------//
Start the reception of the given program
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
void C_LocalInput::OnStartStreaming(C_Broadcast* pBroadcast)
{
   ASSERT(pBroadcast);

   // We choose a TS packet buffer able to store up to 3s of stream at 8
Mbits/s
   // C_NetList* pTsProvider = new C_NetList(3*3*797);
   C_NetList* pTsProvider = new C_NetList(1*3*797);

}

If you know there will be only 5Mbps streams then you could lower the
797. To something of 595, but test it before deploying to find the right
numbers.

 > It seems that the videolan server takes about 0.7 seconds to get the
 > program stream, make it into a transport stream, and broadcast it.
Reducing the 0.7 seconds delay in pause/suspend cycle and broadcast is
not possible to reduce. Because VLS needs PCR's in the TS stream and
they are about 0.7 seconds apart is I'm right.

> Are there any thoughts on how to reduce this latency?
>
> thanks
> Jorrit

Greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman.