[vls-devel] Re: FIXED: DVB freeze when New PAT received

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Sat Oct 5 17:06:36 CEST 2002

> > >     // Kludge: signal the first PAT arrival.
> > >     m_cEndInit.Protect();
> > >     m_cEndInit.Signal();
> >
> > We are testing the vls CVS here at the ECP residence, and commenting
> > this rotect()' line actually fixes the freezes we had about every
> > hour; our server has yet been running for 2 days without a problem.
> > Does
> > anyone plan to fix this in the CVS ? (by a cleaner way, maybe)
>
> No, because you always have to take the mutex before sending a signal
> on a condition. However, I wonder why there is no Release() after
> Signal(). If you do never release the signal, you will systematically
> end up with a deadlock. I surprised to see that Release() isn't used
> for every Protect() in this code.

Christophe,

  putting Release() after Signal() does not help - the second "New PAT" hangs
on Protect() again. Maybe the mutex is already locked by some other function
when we get here during broadcast and we don't need Protect() at all?

	With kind regards,

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----
----   Slovak Technical University           Tel: +421 2 524 51 301   ----
----   Computer Centre, Nam. Slobody 17      Fax: +421 2 524 94 351   ----