[vls-devel] Re: [RFC] VideoLAN Server Architecture For the Future

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Wed Oct 9 09:08:34 CEST 2002

Bill Eldridge wrote:

> One issue that's been hacked a few times
> but not really integrated is the interaction
> of ffmpeg, where you can take a vob output
> from ffmpeg into a fifo and hack vls not
> to seek on the fifo, and thus you're streaming
> from ffmpeg's input.
With the proposed module interface each module has certain capabilities
one of them is "seek" capability in a stream. If the input file is a
fifo then the stream control could set the seek capability to false for
that input file. This create the same effect as you need in this case.

 > THis might be replaced
 > with a URL for ffmpeg, with a UDP socket input
 > for vls (& UDP output for ffmpeg and/or ffserver),
 > etc.

Could you elaborate on this?

> I have a bit of a hacked http.cpp interface
> for vls on http://techweb.rfa.org/staff/bill
> that only failed because of page buffering
> issues (it was cutting off after 512 bytes
> on the POST with some browsers but not with
> others) that can provide a different kind
> of control interface than the telnet.cpp
> one.

My idea was that a HTTP control interface (it should act like a little
webserver) would present a web page from which (after authentication):
- a user could start/stop a stream.
- a admin could alter/view current dynamic configuration

Tell if I'm wrong but it seems that your solution partly solves the
admin case. In the next VLS version we should try to integrate and
improve your HTTP control interface. I see it is written like the telnet
interface (looked into http.c and http.h on your website).

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42909
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199