[vls-devel] Re: Streaming over TCP

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at wxs.nl
Sun Oct 27 13:28:39 CET 2002

Denis Knjazihhin wrote:
> Can vls be configured send data over a regular TCP connection to a vlc,
> instead of using UDP? I'm doing some experiments on streaming video over a
> new version of TCP, that's why I'm looking for a streaming video server
> that is implemented using TCP.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~ Denis

Currently it cannot be configured like that. So do it your self;-)

Luckily it is not that difficult to implement. You only need to write a
new netchannel (src/modules/netchannel) and netoutput. And top it off
with a new input to leverage you're new tcpchannel and tcpoutput.

Some background the "input" is used to setup a stream from "filereader"
to "netchannel" (see the developer documentation for more detail).

filereader <-- convertor --> fifo <-- channel --> output --> networkcard
   ^

input

Now the big drawback. Because TCP/IP uses connections and
retransmissions you loose the exact timing in the 'real-time' stream
(directly from DVB input, v4l or file). What I mean is that the
retransmission of a TCP packet may come too late to get to the decoder,
which will result in stalling picture(s) or A/V artefacts.
A TCP channel is only really useable for *downloading* videos ala http
download, which is also a nice thing to support ;-)

Greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman.