[vls-devel] Re: Status RTSP

Bart Kerver Bart.Kerver at surfnet.nl
Tue Apr 1 17:16:31 CEST 2003

VLS-team,

>>RTSP is none exsisting I guess Loïc Minier was talking about RTCP/RTP
>>which is different from RTSP.

I see you will be working on a VoD solution somwhere in the project
(http://www.mburns.fr.st/cdc_videolan/cdc.html). At the moment I have a
management tool available, I call it DVLSM - Distributed VideoLAN-Server
Management. It is a wey to manage several VLS servers, start and stop
streams and query a database for content (eg).

I need RTSP too to make streamcontrol possible. I asked the VLC guys for
a way to be able to start VLC by a minetype (which doesn't work) as a
first step to automate the to start a stream using the webinterface
(fire VLC with the parameters generated by DVLSM). So far this feature
is not supported. I have looked into using an external executable to
fire-up VLC and send the addional paramaters (fe PERL).

DVLSM is momentary not publicly available on the network, since VLS
makes a DoS possible by starting a stream to an host and logging out (a
stream will be started to the IP-adres requesting the stream). So I need
a way to control the streams on a server level to complete the VoD
solution. RTSP is therefore the way to go!

If there is a first implementation of RTSP available I'd love to test it.

Best regards,
Bart

--
Bart Kerver