[vls-devel] Big data blocks to network from videoinput?

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Fri Feb 28 09:20:14 CET 2003

Hi all,

  doing some tests with live streaming from MPEG2 encoder board I've run
into following problem:

  Encoder board outputs data only once per frame (i.e. once every 40 ms).
When it outputs I-frame (every 15-th block of data), the data block could be
as large as 100 KB or even more.

  Seems that vls is outputting this data to the network interface in those
big chunks, without any network traffic averaging.

  In situation, where server is connected to the network at 100 Mbps and
the client at 10 Mbps, even the stream with 4 Mbps average bandwidth is
unusable, since some ethernet switches are not able to buffer 100+ KB of
data from 100 Mbps input and slow it down to 10 Mbps output towards client.
When some packets are dropped, the client does not get the I frames, which
means the whole stream is unusable.

  Would it be possible to patch vls to make it send packets from videoinput
continuously, not in chunks once per 40 ms?

	Thanks,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----
----   Slovak Technical University           Tel: +421 2 524 51 301   ----