[vls-devel] Re: PHP / MySQL frontend for VLS

Bart Kerver Bart.Kerver at surfnet.nl
Fri Jul 25 10:20:13 CEST 2003

Vince,

> Can your script instruct VLC to stream multiple multicast streams
> simultaneously. ?.

Currently not, but this would be rather simple to implement.
In the current version servers supported are HTTP,FTP,VLS,VLC and MMS
(anything VLC supports or can download/retrieve streams from).

I have added a servertype (in DVLSM) called RELAY that captures a stream
and rebroadcasts this (over unicast/multicast). So that is one part of
the solution. Second is that DVLSM has the option to control VLC's
output influenced by Adaptations (an interface towards VLS's
transcoding). I think I will have to add an extra feature to the system
to make sure that VLC's "output chains" can be handled. For now DVLSM
only supports 1 output chain, I can work on adding a chain table for
advanced braodcasts.

The VLC-controlscript is rather simple and is controlled by a PHP module
getting info from mySQL (the portal side) and sending commands to a
remote server (VLS/VLC). I create commands myself, familiar to
ASCII/HTML, since I started with talking to VLS. So adding extra
features is very easy.

 > If so, is it possible that we can have a copy of your script?.

I will make the setup available, but have been patching the code
recently for streaming to mobile devices (content adaptation on the fly)
so the code is currenly a bit messy and I don't have an install yet. If
you like to test with the VLC-PERLscript being controlled from my portal
(which is hardest to clean up ;-) I can sent you a copy and a way to
operate, I could patch the script in such way that it can multicast to
multiple multicast streams being multiple output chains. This way YOUR
server can be controlled to stream assets accourding to the settings you
make in my portal. Or just wait a while.

Best regards,
Bart