[vls-devel] Re: Network QoS Measurement

Bart Kerver bart.kerver at surfnet.nl
Thu Jul 31 22:23:22 CEST 2003

James

> >       I´m developing a QoS Framework to be applied to Linux operating
> > systems and over routers along two network edges.
> >       So, I want to send packets from a VLS station to another one
> > running VLC. My purpose is measure the actual bitrate my whole network is
> > achieving. In other words, I want to know the overall  delay from server
> > to client station, so that I can validate my framework.
> >       Here goes my question: Is there any funcionality provided by
> > either VLC or VLS that would fulfill the requirements abovementioned?
> >       If answer is negative, does anyone envision any solution
> > to this
> > problem?

Just wondering, why not use iPERF, why do it the hard way?

http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/

It can show you packet delay, jitter, for unicast and multicast IPv4 and
IPv6. Open source software for nearly any platform that runs in client
and servermode. This is one of the tools that seems to come close to
your needs.

regards,
Bart