[vls-devel] Re: [streaming] Re: Big data blocks to network from videoinput?

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Sat Mar 1 11:15:59 CET 2003

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:25:13AM +0100, Christophe Massiot wrote:

> > > Does your encoder output PS or TS ?
> >
> > It's PS.
>
> Then I know no solution to your problem, as VLS is forced to read each
> PES packet entirely before sending out TS packets. A solution would be to
> increase the buferring on VLS's side, but I have no idea how to do it
> (maybe a VLS developer can help you on this).

Well, not sure if this is a good idea due to MPEG2 nature, but perhaps the
network output (or ts_streamer) could have some mechanism which prevents it
from pushing e.g. 80 IP packets (with size of 1316 bytes each) to the net
at the same moment.

For example, the 4 Mbit/s stream needs to deliver approx. 400 IP packets/s
which means that in optimal situation packet shoud be sent to network every
2.5 miliseconds. Seems the TS streams received from sattelite behave exactly
this way - and thus I have no problem to watch any sat channel on a PC with
10 Mbps connection. However, the stream received from MPEG2 encoder board
(or from file?) ouputs those big blocks of data which is causing problems.

   Thanks for any help and/or comments.

	With kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----