[vls-devel] Streaming PC with multiple PVR (up to 10!)...

Paolo Scaffardi scaffardi at airventsam.it
Wed Nov 5 09:11:50 CET 2003

Hi there!
My company is going to build a streaming PC with many Hauppauge PVR250
hardware mpeg2 encoders (5-10) using VideoLan Server.

I am the main project developer. We fixed the ivtv drivers to support
more than one card per system, and now we are still investigating on
some bugs we have while streaming to our STBs or VLCs.

The problem is very simple: using the last stable release of VLS (0.5.2,
but 'vls --version' says '0.5.0': little bug here!) with our PVR we
experienced strange freeze on video/audio output on our clients. But
when we capture these streams from our PVR using simple 'cat /dev/video0
> test.ps' we dont see them.

Then we tried the HEAD version (with the built-in PVR support) but when
trying to start a PVR program VLS stops with 'illegal instruction (core
dumped)'.

So, is there anyone that is using the same PVR with VideoLAN server on
this list that would share with us his experience on that? We would like
to know its settings on IVTV drivers and VLS to have a stable stream
output... (what stream_type: ps or ts?).

Thank you anyone for that great work.

Bye,
Paolo Scaffardi (Linux Software Engineer)
Airvent SAM S.p.A.
via Macanno 32
47900 Rimini (RN) - ITALY
Tel. +39 0541 383294