[vls-devel] considering switch to automake

Sam Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Mon Oct 13 01:47:28 CEST 2003

   From all major VideoLAN projects, only vls is still using a cumber-
some build system instead of automake. I am willing to switch it to
automake as soon as possible for the following reasons:

  - automake has support for build in an alternate directory; bootstrap
    once, build several times with different options

  - the current "dist" rule is a awful mess, there is no way a newcomer
    can think of what to do when a file has been deleted or renamed

  - --datadir, --sysconfdir etc. flags do not work, and implementing
    them is going to be tedious

  - the current "clean" rule currently does not properly clean every-
    thing

  - automake lets us use libtool, which has native support to build
    plugins with the proper extension and compiler flags

  - does anyone understand Makefile.dep? automake has native support for
    that as well

   One could be reluctant to install libtool and automake, but since
libdvdcss and libdvbpsi require them, I believe all VLS coders already
have them installed. So, any other reasons not to switch? If not, I'll
do it as soon as possible.

--
Sam.