[vls-devel] Re: Occasional crazy problem with vls

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Mon Jan 19 15:19:17 CET 2004

> > You can duplicate the problem partly by running VLS in the foreground. If
> > you ctrl-z it and leave it for 10 seconds, then 'fg' it again, the video
> > in VLC will speed up for a bit until it catches up with where VLS
> > "thinks" it should be. (I can't replicate the problem I originally
> > reported in this way, but it looks related).
> >
> > I don't think this the correct behaviour. VLS should either just skip the
> > video, or realise its been delayed for a bit, and compensate its timings.
> > I don't think suddenly sending a massive burst is right. My normal video
> > clients (which are STBs with hardware decoders) don't really like the
> > burst very much.
>
> STB's don't like the speed up I agree on that. But just skipping does
> not solve your problem. The problem is in your server setup, it is
> clearly not capable of handling that load. The proper fix would be the
> enlarge the streaming capacity of the server side, e.g: by adding new
> servers.

It seems to be a bursty problem. Normally our servers are < 50% loaded, so
something must occasionally push it up and cause the problem. I'll look into
that in a moment.

However, I don't think letting vls suddenly speed up the video at random is
good either. I'm working on a workaround for that problem at the moment.