[vls-devel] Re: compile error on recent subversion

Mike's Mail urbansound at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 14 16:24:09 CEST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benjamin PRACHT" <bigben at via.ecp.fr>
To: <vls-devel at videolan.org>
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 10:03 AM
Subject: [vls-devel] Re: compile error on recent subversion

> First, be aware that VLS is currently in an unmaintained state, and that
> current SVN is known as being very buggy.

You should post the "unmaintained" status on the websight and forums
(clearly) as an announcement or sticky at the top of the VLS forum.

Most issues I found, directed me to vls - cvs which is now subversion,
according to the VLS site.
I found nothing on the VLS website that suggest VLS-subversion is not
usable.

> About you compilation issue, chould you try with ffmpeg compiled
> without --enable-mp3lame ?

Yes, gladly
I am presently trying to determing how to install zlib-devel headers which
are not stock on slack9.1
After I do, and if it fails again, I'll go here next.

> But again, you won't get anything working correctly from vls-cvs. Please
> have a look at the streaming capabilities of VLC instead.

Site says CVS is moved to subversion.  I used subversion.
VLC compiled but I could not get a reliable stream from it and it is 10
times bigger than the simplicity I'm seeking from VLS
If VLS-subversion is in that much trouble, why not post a status on the
subversion page or give a hint to the last stable subversion ;-)
The VLS web page, compatabilities chart, examples, how-to's etc, say nothing
of it being tubed, presently.

I know subversions are generally troubled, but does not working them from
the public, help developers know where problems are?
The FAQ even covers the paradigm of developing both VLC and VLS, so how are
we to know otherwise? ;-)

It's all good.   Let's go on and see what I get.  Maybe we'll see the old
girl wake up and dance, yet.

Thanks Ben,
Mike