[vls-devel] Re: need help

John Dalgliesh johnd at defyne.org
Fri Apr 7 08:22:29 CEST 2006

Hi Sanaa,

The reason you have not got a response on this list is because development
of VLS has stopped. All development is now done on VLC, which (I'm told)
can do everything VLS could do - including redirecting multiple streams,
etc. etc.

I am not a developer of VLC, but I've tried to answer your questions
anyway:

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, sanaa hasbani wrote:

> hi,
> we are a group of students working on a projet in a university. Our project is about
> streaming video from a satellite using a PCI card so we are using the videoLan for this
> purpose.In fact, we have some obstacles and problems while using vls:
>
> First, can we develop an application using vls and vlc under windows knowing that some
> libraries are implemented for unix??? if yes how?

Since there is a build of VLC for Windows, it should not be at all
difficult to do this. (With VLC not VLS.)

> Second, is there a specific API that can stream videos from DVB card that we have in order to
> broadcast them to a group of PCs in a LAN?

VLC can do this on Linux I believe. Not sure about Windows if it supports
BDA. And on Mac OS X it can be a helper and rebroadcast a stream from a
DVB card if necessary.

> Finally, we would thank you in advance for your help and support.

No worries.

{P^/