[www-doc] Switching VideoLAN doc to GPL

Clément Stenac zorglub at via.ecp.fr
Mon Oct 13 00:35:44 CEST 2003

Dear VideoLAN Doc developers,

Currently, the VideoLAN documentation uses the GNU FDL (Free
Documentation) license (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html).

The problem is that this license raises some legal issues
about its real freedom. Particularly, it seems that it
violates the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG)
(http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines).

I suggest that you read the links grouped on this page:
http://people.debian.org/~branden/fdl/ about the problems of the FDL.

Basically, main problems are:

- Invariant sections, which can make the doc not 100 % copyleft.
- Lack of clarity (which media are allowed, ...)

As we would like to include parts of the doc in Debian main, we must fix
this.

What we propose is to swap the whole doc to use the GPL license that can
also be used for documentation, even if it was thought for programs.

For this, we need the agreement of every people who contributed to this
documentation, so please answer if you are one of these nice guys.

--
Zorglub
Clément Stenac