[www-doc] [RFC] statistics for streaming and transcoding.

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Tue Oct 28 17:41:53 CET 2003

Recently users come with questions:

which system do I need for streaming  with a webcamera?
Which device (webcom) do you recommend?
How much CPU does it require?
Which codecs best to use?

How are we going to answer these questions? There are no statistics or
scientific methods that says *this is what you need*. Simply because
there are too many knobs too tune.

So I thought simply recording (e.g: in a table) what people successfully
use with some additional statistics (CPU frequency, CPU utilization,
Memory usage, transcoding codec, video/audio bitrates, screensize wxh,
etc.) would at least give a user a place too see the best practises.

Look at this link I created:
http://www.videolan.org/streaming/statistics.html

If such a page is filled users can simply look up if their system is
capable of their inteded use. At least they have an idea.

The problem (question) now is how do we represent this statistic data?
At least that it is easy understandable by others. I made a start, which
is probably not the best way to do it. So please shoot ;-)

Let us discuss several opinions and options in this list.

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman