[www-doc] Re-send: Extremely helpful HOWTO compile on *nix... except for one small typo!!

jsaxe at Crutchfield.com jsaxe at Crutchfield.com
Tue Oct 3 15:16:05 CEST 2006

Good morning. I'm sending this to the "webmaster" address, since I never
got a response from emailing (about a month ago) directly to the author
of the article as noted on the Web site. Please make this one little
correction on the site, after (if you wish) conferring with the author,
since it's attributed to him. Thanks!

Thanks very much for writing the HOWTO on compiling VLC from scratch.
Thanks also for the very frank and honest reminders that VLC is pretty
complex software, with lots of annoying dependencies and libraries; it
helped to set my expectations.

Anyway, I wanted to report that there's one small typo in the
instructions, and working through it caused me a bit of grief this
afternoon, so I thought you might want to correct it on the page to save
others the trouble. Note that it's wrong in one place and right in the
other on the same page, so it was fairly easy to find once I put on my
special persistently-go-over-every-detail sysadmin glasses. The option
to explicitly tell VLC's configure script where the Live555 sources /
libraries live is called "--with-livedotcom-tree". But in your "better
not to be installed" sentence, you mistyped this as
"--with-livedotcom-path", and this was apparently equivalent to not
typing it at all, because my compilation of VLC never did understand how
to go access RTSP streams (the relevant error message was "looking for
access_demux module: 0 candidates"). As soon as I noticed that the
ffmpeg tree specifier used the word "-tree", and the fully-spelled-out
.configure example several lines below used "--with-livedotcom-tree", it
worked perfectly, and now I can spool RTSP MPEG4 from an IP surveillance
camera to a local hard drive.

I'm on my way; thanks to you and all the other VideoLAN crew for the
help!

-- Jeff Saxe

CCIE # 9376

Network Engineer, IT Systems Group

Crutchfield Corporation, Charlottesville, Virginia

434-817-1000 ext. 2111 work  /  434-882-3508 cell

jsaxe at Crutchfield.com