[x264-devel] Re: Scene cuts

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Mon Aug 9 00:28:25 CEST 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, [iso-8859-1] Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Subversion daemon <svn at videolan.org> writes:
>
> > r20 | fenrir | 2004-08-08 18:18:49 +0200 (Sun, 08 Aug 2004) | 3 lines
> > Changed paths:
> >    M /trunk/encoder/encoder.c
> >
> >  * encoder: simpler scene cut detection (seems better but do not check
> > size anymore, so need more testing).
>
> One thing I've noticed is fade-outs cause lots of cuts to be reported.
> Do they really get coded better as I frames?

Yes, fades really are better coded as (mostly) I-blocks than as P.
B-frames would be better yet, if they were fully implemented. (At least,
they greatly help fades in mpeg4 ASP.)

BTW, when I was browsing Wiley's overview of the h.264 format, it metioned
something about using a weighted sum of predictors from one or more
previous frames. Do the weights have to sum to 1, or could that be a cheap
way to improve prediction when fading to/from black?

--Loren Merritt