[x264-devel] Re: fps fixed to 25, why?

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Wed Dec 29 13:17:08 CET 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:

> From x264.c:
>        fprintf( stderr, "encoded %d frames %ffps %lld kb/s\n", i_frame, fps,
> i_file * 8 * 25 / i_frame / 1000 );
>
> Here the kbit/s is calculated by assuming 25 Hz framerate.
> I think it is not particularly good idea, since the framerate
> might be something else really, like 30 Hz.

Fixed. I didn't notice this before because I use MEncoder as a frontend,
and not the x264 commandline util.

> If I make a patch which outputs the bitrate as bits per pixel,
> would it be accepted?

Bits per pixel tells you nothing about the video. Bitrate does not scale
linearly with resolution. I find bits per sqrt(pixels) to be closer, but
the correct exponent depends on the amount of detail in the video.

But yes, I would accept a patch if bpp is something users want to know.

--Loren Merritt