[x264-devel] x264 vs JM 7.5c encoding results

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Thu Dec 30 16:32:59 CET 2004

Available here:
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/mplayer/tests/x264test/readme.html

or my main page:
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/mplayer/tests/readme.html

Warning: the pages contain some embedded EPS images.

Conclusions:

x264 gives typically 14% (8-16%) higher bitrate in average than JM at the
tested PSNR levels and QP values, making it much worse. On the good side,
although I didn't specifically test for speed, x264 was staggering fast. It
was capable encoding about 30 fps CIF realtime on my Athlon 2 GHz, whereas
JM is hopelessly slow (hundreds of times slower).

Let me know if I made some mistake (not optimal options in x264 or such)
or if the results just look wrong.

P.S. I wonder what are the major reasons for difference between the
two encoders?