[x264-devel] Re: Rate control and scene change detection

Måns Rullgård mru at mru.ath.cx
Sun Jul 11 22:18:33 CEST 2004

Marco Al <m.f.al at student.utwente.nl> writes:

> Felix Mellmann wrote:
>
>> So maybe the team of VirtualDub may be a help to you, they have
>> included a scene change detection to force the encoder to produce
>> keyframes. VirtualDub is under GPL so that wouldn't lead into
>> problems.  If I would've more time I would try to help you more in
>> that issue, but I don't have this time temporarily.
>
> It is not a good idea to try to use non ME based scenechange detection
> ... not having to do ME for i-frames isnt going to speedup overall
> encoding speed significantly, the potential for harm by detecting
> scenechanges on high motion scenes is considerable though.

That seems reasonable.

> Adapting methods from xvid or ffmpeg makes more sense (Im pretty
> sure both are ME based).

I looked briefly at the scene change detection in ffmpeg, though I
couldn't quite grasp how it works without studying it more closely.
It does seem to have a connection with ME.

Does anyone know which parameters are good indicators of a scene
change?  Is there perhaps something particularly suited for H.264
encoding?

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at mru.ath.cx