[x264-devel] Intra 4x4 mode selection

Stephen Henry Stephen.Henry at elixent.com
Tue Nov 23 11:53:52 CET 2004

Hi Developers,

We have encountered a possible bug in the code and would like to clarify
the issue with you (the developers). By the way, the x264 code is
fantastic! It is on a completely different level from the dog's dinner
that is the reference model.

In the function "predict_4x4_mode_available" (encoder/analyse.c), the
code selects only: DC_TOP and V(ertical) when the left is unavailable
and the top is available. Apparently for submb 2,8,12, the code selects
only these modes when modes "Diagonal Down Left" and "Vertical Left"
should also be available. I cannot see a reason for not selecting these
modes in the code, although I am a little confused by the i_neighbour
variable and the precise details surrounding its value.

If you can tell me this is a bug or not, I'll do my best to create a
patch for it.

Thanks,

Stephen Henry