[x264-devel] Re: h->stats

Tom Jacobs T.R.Jacobs at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Apr 29 12:37:52 CEST 2005

> Yes, it would, at least to some degree. stat.frame.i_mb_count
> is used for fast decision about intra mode, see analysis.c
> and search for "/* Fast intra decision */".

have looked at intra decision it it seams to base some of the decision on
the number of mb compard to the xy location number of the mb under test.
since i am using the sliced implementation would it be reasonable to minus
the slices start xy number from i_mb_xy and have the stat structure
seperate for all slices? without this i_mb_count will never to larger than
i_mb_xy in later slices.

> h->stat is used for ratecontrol and scenecut detection.

can you point me in the right direction for these parts? for ratecontrol
this can be done by splittin the allowed bits for the frame evenly between
the slices. i know this will nto give the best bitrate but shouldnt affect
it much since the number of slices will not be huge.  is scenecut detection
used to insert I frames? is this the only method of inserting I frames or is
there an extra method if there is a long run without one? can you have an I
encoded slice and a P encoded one on the same frame?

finally, not related to stat i dont think. sometimes when playing my output
in ffplay, after adding it to a mp4 file, i get the following error but the
sequence seams to play perfectly

[h264 @ 0x831f614]AVC: Consumed only 4 bytes instead of 6607
[h264 @ 0x831f614]Unknown NAL code: 13

does anyone know what and why i get this?

many thanks

Tom