[x264-devel] Re: [Mp4-tech] CALL FOR MPEG4-AVC/H.264 CODECS (fwd)

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Mon Aug 29 14:07:00 CEST 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Jeff Clagg wrote:

>> According to my experiments, the best safe encoding options are
>>
>> --bframes 3
>> --no-b-adapt
>
>This combination is not a good idea in any scene with high motion. I
>doubt it's a good idea in general.

Did you notice that I used them together with b-pyramid?

I tried these with 12-13 CIF standard sequences [1] (each 250 frames)
and with roughly the same number of custom sequences (640x480), and in
average this was the best set of options.

I'm sure that you would get better results if tuning the options
for each scene but nobody has time to do that by hand.

[1] bridge_close coastguard flower highway news foreman mobile_and_calendar
munchener_hall paris stefan tempete tourists_in_san_fransisco waterfall