[x264-devel] Re: Respect of the norm?

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Sun Dec 11 19:52:03 CET 2005

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, thetrueavatar thetrueavatar wrote:

>I just wanted to know if at this stage, x264 is still respecting the h264
>norm.

You mean the H.264 standard. Yes, it is.

I'm quite sure it will always be compatible, at least by default, with
the standard.

>In fact, I would like to know if there is a revision that respect entirely
>the norm and that could be read in the future h264 player.

Yes, the current revisions do (unless they have some hidden bugs that
produce incorrect bitstream in some cases).

But as the development goes fast, you should be a bit careful
with new revisions as they might introduce new bugs--any bugs
are likely to be fixed soon, but you'd better use a version few revisions
back for which there are no known bugs.

>I read on a forum that you advised not used the x264 for that because it was
>still too early. Is this really the case?

If you adhere the above considerations, I would say it's safe
to use x264.

If you want to double check, try decoding video encoded by x264 using
two different decoders and check that they give identical output.
For example, I use ffmpeg/mplayer and sometimes compare the results
with the JM "official" decoder.