[x264-devel] Problems with PTS and b frames

Bill May wmay at cisco.com
Wed Dec 14 00:01:06 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm using x264 with our mp4live encoder.  I've updated the latest code.

First problem: I specify 2 (or more) b frames in param.i_bframe, and
only 1 b frame occurs.  I'm using X264_TYPE_AUTO in pic_input.i_type,
except when I want an IDR frame.  Am I missing a variable that would
need to be set ?

2nd problem.  The PTS output (in i_pts) appears to be incorrect; it appears
to be 1 frame behind.  For file recording, I need both the pts and the
dts.  I'm saving the encoding time in a fifo, and popping that off
when encoded frames appear.  The values I'm getting from i_pts are
as follows:

ts    saved   i_pts   type
0     (0 nals returned)
33    (0 nals returned)
66    (0 nals returned
99     0       0    IDR
122    33      66   P
155    66      33   B
188    99      122  P
221    122     99   B

I would expect the pts to return 33, 99, 66, 155, 122, with the B
frame return a pts of the i_pts passed when it was encoded.

I know that this worked when I added b frame support last April.

Thanks,
Bill May