[x264-devel] Re: Sparc optimization (8x8 SAD) & test sequences

Phil Jensen philj at csufresno.edu
Mon Jul 18 10:32:53 CEST 2005

Tuukka Toivonen wrote:

>What about
>   dd if=/dev/urandom of=random-176x144.yuv bs=38016 count=100
>Encode it with and without VIS and see if the results are identical.
>Actually you need to modify the original x264 as well (just add a comment
>somewhere) otherwise the bitstream headers differ by one byte.
>
>Solaris probably doesn't have /dev/urandom, but I think you got the
>idea: just generate random data and cmp the results.
>
>Here are some real test videos:
>http://media.xiph.org/video/derf/
>but you need to convert the y4m files to yuv with
>mencoder or something. Or Google for the yuv versions.

Thanks Tuukka,

My first attempt with mencoder was not good, and that was the test file
I was using for my tests.  Once I got everything working, the PSNR for
both versions of the file were identical, and looked the same (though
quite mangled).  A second attempt with mencoder worked much better!  I
found a cocktail from Doom9 that worked good:

mencoder in.avi -nosound -ovc raw -vf format=i420 -of rawvideo -o out.yuv

I've verified that the VIS code works just fine, and will be prepping a
patch very soon.

Thanks again,
Phil