[x264-devel] Is constant bitrate supported by x264?

Piotr Narewski P.Narewski at adbglobal.com
Tue Jul 26 15:12:42 CEST 2005

Hello,

I try to prepare some h264 video files for streaming.
The problem is that (because of network limit) I cannot exceed the bandwith
limit.
Unfortunatelly, I am unable to generate a real CBR stream.

For example, when I use encoding parameters like in attached BAT file (CBR
1.5Mbps), the output bitrate looks like in file bitrate.log (each line
represents one second - you have also bitrate in Mbps).
Average bitrate of the output file (when I calculate file size and video
length) is what I wanted, but there are fragments where the bitrate is much
too big to stream it with reguested bitrate.
And thats the problem.

I was playing with encoder's parameters a little bit and found out that when
I add such an option:
--vbv-bufsize 1
... then decoder keeps the limit of video bitrate much, much better.
But I dont think this is the right way to produce CBR stream - VBV is too
low and different decoders behave strange.

Could you help me please?
Is there any way to generate CBR stream, for streaming?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Piotr

File attachment: new-war.bat
The file attached to this email was removed
because the file name is not allowed.