[x264-devel] Re: patch: switch to select ME method & range

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 17 18:05:41 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:

> -        for( i_iter = 0; i_iter < 8; i_iter++ )
> +        for( i_iter = 0; i_iter < i_me_range/2; i_iter++ )

The reason it was limited to 8 was so that I didn't have to check mv
against h->mb.mv_{min,max} within the loop: the starting point for the
search is guaranteed to be more than 16 pixels from the edge of the padded
frame. So, either calculate the limit based on distance to the edge, or
check against the min/maax mvs within the loop, or restrict mvp to within
the padded frame.

Also, how about an adaptive ESA radius based on the amount of motion in
neighboring blocks or previous frames? Or an initial search using the
lowres frames?

--Loren Merritt