[x264-devel] Re: question regarding mb prediction support

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Thu May 5 03:03:23 CEST 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Randeep Singh Gakhal wrote:

> I have been looking at the functions x264_slicetype_analyse(),
> x264_slicetype_frame_cost(), and x264_slicetype_mb_cost(). I was
> wondering if someone could please confirm my understanding for me:
>
> - a slice consists of one frame

So far, yes. That doesn't have to be true (see the discussion of
multithreading.)

> - that the encoder currently uses the same MB mode for all MBs in a given frame
> - sub-MB modes and 16x8, 8x16, etc... are all to be implemented :-)

Not at all. The real MB mode decisions are done in
x264_macroblock_analyse(). x264_slicetype_* are quick approximations used
when deciding whether to encode a given frame as a P vs B-slice, and will
also be used in bitrate prediction for 1 pass ratecontrol.

--Loren Merritt