[x264-devel] Re: h->stats

Tom Jacobs T.R.Jacobs at lboro.ac.uk
Mon May 9 12:33:58 CEST 2005

> > since i am using the sliced implementation would it be reasonable to
> > minus the slices start xy number from i_mb_xy and have the stat
> > structure seperate for all slices? without this i_mb_count will never
> > larger than i_mb_xy in later slices.
>
> Yes, it cares about the fraction of encded blocks that were intra, so
> just
> compare intra mb count against whatever range of MBs it's counted from.

i have done this now and it works find

> OK, you're just asking about threading? Scenecut detection is run only
> after encoding the whole frame, so as long as you can combine stats at
> the end it's ok.

in which function does the decision get taken? im guessing having a common
stat which at the beingging of each frame splits to each thread and when
the frame done joins ahain. this would allow for the scenecut to be done
correctly.

 Ratecontrol is more complicated now, but I'm pretty done
> with my revised ABR patch, so that will simplify things to the same
> assumption: As long as the stats are correct after you finish the frame,
> it's ok.

hopefully i will be able to add the patch when you finish it. am not sure
what version this multislice one is based on. i always have a nightmare
tryin to add them onto the wrong version