[x264-devel] Re: patch: visualization for X11

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Thu May 12 19:07:18 CEST 2005

> Hello.
>
> I made a visualization tool for x264 to help debugging.
> Not that polished and supports only X11 at the moment,
> and even then probably not all systems (say 8-bit paletted etc.)
> But works for me.
>
> Attached.
>
> Here's an example:
>
> http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/tmp/foremanvis.png
>
> /*
> * Some explanation of the symbols used:
> * Red/pink: intra block
> * Blue: inter block
> * Green: skip block
> * Yellow: B-block (not visualized properly yet)
> *
> * The intra blocks have generally lines drawn perpendicular
> * to the prediction direction, so for example, if there is a pink block
> * with horizontal line at the top of it, it is interpolated by assuming
> * luma to be vertically constant.
> * DC predicted blocks have both horizontal and vertical lines,
> * pink blocks with a diagonal line are predicted using the planar function.
> */
>
> ...and it could be also used for general debugging
> as one can just throw some random data array to function disp_gray_zoom()
> and it displays it on screen.

I think the mail didn't go to the list (at least I didn't get a copy back),
maybe due to too large attachment, so I put the diff here:
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/%7Etuukkat/tmp/x264-r225-visualize.diff

Also I should mention that the display-x11.c was partially
derived from some other source... probably from tmndec,
and 95% surely it was copied there from somewhere else
(google for comments such as "Tell other applications about this window").