[x264-devel] Re: Slices

Tom Jacobs T.R.Jacobs at lboro.ac.uk
Wed May 25 00:05:30 CEST 2005

this code I used to get these results was champ yen's code
http://www.ccns.ncku.edu.tw/~champ/x264-champ-18x.tar.gz
this uses pthread as its multi processor system so to speak. I don't know
anything about pthread (apart from it compiles on my Linux box). the work im
doing is porting this so it compile on my custom multi-processor
instruction-set simulator (ISS). to get a little technical it compiles it
for a MIPS architecture and simulates a varying shared memory pram type
system (so my supervisor tells me). basically I can get an instruction count
for each of the processors and I can base my 'improvements' on that. abit
hand wavy and not quite what the end user of x264 is looking for but in
theory to shows the ability of SoC video encoders exploiting the abundance
parallelism in the codec.

think ive rambled to much there so will stop.

im not sure how to make a patch, it would only be from champ's code anyway
since mine has architectural commands like barrier in it. saying that it
would be good if the multisliced and current cvs could to joined since the
new rate control would be good for multislice. I think the code is based on
183r btw

thanks

Tom