[x264-devel] Re: x264 for g++ compiler on r239

Stephen Henry Stephen.Henry at elixent.com
Wed May 25 13:42:00 CEST 2005

I would, personally like to see this as well since I am planning to use
x264 in a SystemC (C++ library for SOC) type environment. I'm not
suggesting that development should switch to C++ all of a sudden (OOP
and all...), but I would like to see the default x264 branch able to
compile under both gcc and g++ without modification. When I've done this
in the past, the only differences required was slight modifications to
some casts (which gcc allows, because the C-language is less pedantic
about such things) and none of #define statements in the code that was
suggested. This has generally resulted in much tighter code as sometimes
GCC was allowing casts from, say unsigned to signed, or other such
things without creating a warning.

I do think that rewriting x264 in C++ would be really nice, but I don't
see the benefit from doing so: the code is already really well
structured, and the task of converting everything to classes would be,
IMHO, redundant.

Regards,

Stephen