[x264-devel] Re: x264: svn commit r240 (pengvado)

Stephen Henry Stephen.Henry at elixent.com
Tue May 31 12:39:44 CEST 2005

Hi,

I was having a look over the source code and have some questions
regarding how the multithreading has been implemented. Mainly, my
concern is with INTRA prediction.

It appears to me that the code has been modified so that the encoder
encodes 'i_threads' number of slices over a rectangular strip in the
frame. The encoding occurs simultaneously. How does the encoder enforce
INTRA prediction across slice boundaries? It looks to me that
'constrained intra prediction' isn't used and that for those macroblocks
neighboring different slices they use the original pixel values, opposed
to the reconstructed prediction values, for INTRA prediction. This would
mean that the prediction may be incorrectly reconstructed under certain
circumstances.

Regards,

Stephen Henry