[x264-devel] Re: variable fps and time stamps

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Mon Nov 28 17:57:55 CET 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, shauli rozen wrote:

> Hi all , I have some questions regarding the x264 library.
> Does the library support changing frame rate , and if yes , does calling the
> function :
>
> x264_ratecontrol_new
>
> will change the fps? is it possible to call this function more then one
> time?
>
> also , I am trying to set the display time for the frame by setting the
> i_pts variable , is that correct?
>
> what happens if the stamp in i_pts conflicts with the fps?
>
> sorry for all the questions , just trying to understand.
>
> thanks

ratecontrol assumes constant fps. There is no way to reinitialize
ratecontrol in the middle of an encode.
i_pts is completely ignored by the codec. It's just there for the muxer.
If you take the cli and set pts appropriately, you can get a vfr mkv, but
the video stream itself won't be modified.

--Loren Merritt