[x264-devel] Re: Size of a NAL-unit

Michael Neuhauser mike at firmix.at
Mon Nov 28 19:37:29 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 17:53 +0100, Davy De Winter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're trying to implement a x264-based RTP-streamer. The main problem we
> are facing is the hughe size of the NAL-unit (more than 65K bytes) which
> causes a lot of fragmented IP-packets leading in error-prone network to
> a large loss-multiplier. Is it possible to change the maximum size of a
> NAL-unit, or can someone give some advice how and if the source can be
> (easily?) adapted to change the maximum NAL-unit size?

Why not use Fragmentation Units as defined in RFC3984 (i.e. one large
NAL -> multiple MTU-sized RTP packets)?

You might want to have a look at the mpeg4ip project
(http://www.mpeg4ip.net/) to see an implementation of this scheme (in
function H264SendVideo()).

--
Dr. Michael Neuhauser                phone: +43 1 789 08 49 - 30
Firmix Software GmbH                   fax: +43 1 789 08 49 - 55
Vienna/Austria/Europe                      email: mike at firmix.at
Embedded Linux Development and Services    http://www.firmix.at/