[x264-devel] Re: tiles

Tobias Bergmann tobias.bergmann at gmx.de
Sat Oct 1 01:09:09 CEST 2005

Loren Merritt wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Tobias Bergmann wrote:
> Just note that slice-groups (needed for any shape other than raster
> scan) are allowed only in baseline and extended profiles.

So high profile does allow less than baseline in this respect? Weird.

> And no matter what, you'll still lose some quality because inter blocks
> can't predict MVs from across the slice border.
>> It's even not neccessary to lose quality when all threads have the
>> complete reference frames at their disposal :)
> You would lose a whole lot of quality if each thread did not have access
> to the complete reference frame, since you'd have to avoid any motion
> compensation that involves pixels from other slices. And that's not just
> MVs that span the slice border, but also MVs within the slice that point
> within a few pixels of the border (due to 6tap (H.264) or 8tap (ASP
> qpel) subpel interpolation).

I meant that each thread encodes a part/slice of the frame and it is
written to a stream without slice mode.
But the MV predict thing is a good point. Will increase communication
between threads.

>> But no one volunteered to code that yet.
> What is missing from libavcodec's implementation of multislice ASP?

Does it do sliced encoding to a non-sliced stream?

bis besser,
Tobias