[x264-devel] Re: configure script

Måns Rullgård mru at inprovide.com
Wed Oct 19 12:06:14 CEST 2005

Sam Hocevar said:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>
>> Oprofile is based on sampling, which is good for finding hotspots, but
>> useless
>> for constructing call graphs.  To get accurate call graphs, some form of
>> code
>> instrumentation must be used, which is where gprof can come in handy.
>
>    AFAIK, both oprofile and sysprof support call graphs. Are they
> missing an important feature that gprof has?

I don't know how sysprof operates, so I can't comment on it. Oprofile
periodically records the program counter value, and possibly some call stack
information.  It is not guaranteed to catch all calls to a function, so a
call graph will somewhat inaccurate, although still somewhat useful.  It all
depends on why you wan the call graph in the first place.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at inprovide.com