[x264-devel] Archiving

Julien Lancien calexicoz at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 05:36:40 CEST 2005

Hi all.

I've tried x264 with mencoder and it gives me outstanding quality
compared to xvid and lavc mpeg4.

However, the website clearly states that this "in development" effort.
So I wonder, is there anything in the current version not conforming
to MPEG4 AVC ?

I tried to read my files under windows with vlc 0.8.1, and nero media
player (or whatever they call it), and both failed. Mplayer under
linux surely did the job, as usual.

So can I use it in the current stage for archiving purpose, or is it a
bad idea. Are there some really interesting feature coming out in the
next months which are worth waiting for ?

Thanks for the tips.