[x264-devel] Re: Archiving

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Mon Sep 26 08:11:44 CEST 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Julien Lancien wrote:

>However, the website clearly states that this "in development" effort.
>So I wonder,

>is there anything in the current version not conforming
>to MPEG4 AVC ?

Shouldn't be.

My feel is that the largest reason for being "in development" is that
x264 is not as much tested as some older MPEG-4 part 3 encoders.
Just yesterday I got some funny blocks into some encoded video,
but I don't know if it came from x264 or from ffh264. But
in general the encoder appears to be reliable.

>So can I use it in the current stage for archiving purpose, or is it a
>bad idea.

Well, I am using it as it appears that there are several decoders cabaple
of decoding x264 encoded video (ffh264 and JM, others too probably).

>Are there some really interesting feature coming out in the
>next months which are worth waiting for ?

I wouldn't hold my breath. x264 is already so complete feature-wise
that there can't be much improvements. 8x8dct, RDoptimization and
advanced motion estimation (me=3) are the greatest and the latest
improvements and it's hard to expect for anything much better.

Interlaced support is missing, but it shouldn't be that important
for most folks.