[x264-devel] Re: x264 features

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 12 20:23:06 CEST 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Son Minh Tran wrote:

> My question on Hamadard is just a part of my problem, would you please give
> me more in detail the features of AVC that are supported by x264 ? From the
> feature list of x264 and the way of setting parameters (also the different
> naming like hadamard) it is very difficult to figure out.

Here are the bitstream-level features of the H.264 standard that have been
implemented in x264. This list does not include encoder-side features that
aren't covered by the standard.
For example, Hadamard is not a feature of AVC, and as such is not on this
list. If you want to know more about non-standardized techniques used in
x264, the question to ask is not "what features are supported", but
"please tell me everything that x264 does", and the answer is "read the
sourcecode".

   implemented:
cabac, cavlc
quarterpel motion
deblocking filter
I,P,B,Bref frames
macroblock partitions: I16x16,I8x8,I4x4,
     P16x16,P16x8,P8x16,P8x8,P8x4,P4x8,P4x4,Pskip,
     B16x16,B16x8,B8x16,B8x8,Bskip,Bdirect
implicit weighted prediction (in B-frames)
spatial and temporal direct mvs
multiple reference frames
reference list reordering
4x4 and 8x8 transform
custom quantizer matrices
lossless
slices
YUV 4:2:0 8bit

   not implemented:
SI,SP frames
macroblock partitions: B8x4,B4x8,B4x4
explicit weighted prediction (in P-frames)
constrained intra prediction
adaptive reference marking
flexible macroblock order
arbitrary slice order