[x264-devel] Re: encoding with lots of small slices

Michael Roitzsch mroi at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Wed Aug 2 11:44:18 CEST 2006

Hi Loren,

>> The second and third patch are the same as in my previous mail.
>
> I think the intra condition is not quite right: I_PRED_16x16_P
> needs the topleft pixel. Though the difference would probably not
> be easily visible.

I just looked at the standard and it seems you are right. I wonder
why the decoders are not bugging me when the realize the mode is
invalid.
So the patch should be replaced by the attached one? I just tested
this, appears to be working.

>> The fourth patch is the new one: It fixes an issue with P-frames.
>> I found this fix mostly by trial and error and I am not really
>> sure what it does, let alone whether it is correct. But the
>> outcome is that x264 happily encodes files with arbitrarily high
>> slice counts per frame. I would really appreciate some comments
>> from the x264 team members on this.
>
> Attached is the right way to fix what I assume is the same problem
> that your patch addresses. (untested)

Doesn't work unfortunately. The artifacts are back.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback.

Michael

PS: Last night, x264 with my original patches successfully encoded a
720p video with 1024 slices.