[x264-devel] Re: [patch] disable optimization in debug build

Johannes Ballé johannes.balle at rwth-aachen.de
Thu Aug 17 01:45:04 CEST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 16. August 2006 23:54 schrieb Måns Rullgård:
> That's normal when debugging optimized code, and is the result of
> instruction reordering and common subexpression elimination etc.

With my setup, I've encountered large enough line offsets such that gdb
reports being in one function while it is really executing a loop in another
function. AFAIK, the optimizations you are talking about are only done on
local scope, unless some of the functions are inlined. I wouldn't rule out
the possibility of this being a bug in my version of gdb.

> Why?  Having debugging symbols in optimized code can be very useful.

As I wanted to stress in my first message, for _my_ situation it is not useful
to have optimized code in debugging mode. As it probably is for anyone who
implements new features as opposed to doing optimization. That's why I turned
it off completely even though it appears to work with -O1. But your mileage
may vary.

Regards

--
Johannes Ballé