[x264-devel] Re: Extracting the CABAC coder from x264 sources?

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Thu Aug 17 10:34:27 CEST 2006

Tondeur Steven wrote:
> As far as I know, you don't have to perform a flush after encoding a terminal bit 0, only after a 1.

nah, a flush is always needed. I've created a little demo:

http://dbservice.com/ftpdir/tom/acdemo.c
http://dbservice.com/ftpdir/tom/cabac.c

copy both files into one directory and compile with:
$ gcc -std=c99 -o acdemo acdemo.c
and run with:
$ ./acdemo /path/to/file
It will encode and decode the file and put the result into a new file
called 'out'. 'out' and '/path/to/file' should be identical (md5sum).
You can play with encode_terminal/encode_flush and see what the assert()
does..

But cabac is too slow, I need something that is ~20x faster :) Too bad
that the cavlc code in x264 doesn't have a decoder...

tom