[x264-devel] Only build the library and or the encoder part of x264 ?

Alexis Ballier aballier at gentoo.org
Thu Dec 7 14:30:31 CET 2006

Hi,

I've had to split x264 as two packages in gentoo : x264-svn and
x264-svn-encoder. The former installs only x264 libs (libx264.{so,a}),
headers and pkgconfig file. The latter installs x264 encoder and
possibly the gtk frontend.

I've done this because of a circular dependency problem :
- x264 can use gpac for mp4 output
- gpac can use ffmpeg
- ffmpeg can use x264 libs

If you want all of these features, then you hit a circular dependency
problem.

Then, I patched the x264 makefiles to build, depending on the package,
only the libraries or only the encoders (that link to the library).
This is not a generic patch, but, would you accept a patch that adds
such a feature to x264 ? i.e. a configure option that tells that you
want only the library or dont want it.

Any comments or critics are welcome ;)

Regards,

Alexis.