[x264-devel] Re: multislice-encoding gone?

Michael Roitzsch mroi at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Dec 19 09:32:53 CET 2006

Hi,

>> do I read in commit r607 correctly that x264 can no longer encode
>> with multiple slices per frame? If so, I think this is a loss,
>> because multiple slices are a nice feature for parallel decoders.
>
> Multiple slices are gone.
> Which decoders use slices for parallelism? The parallel decoders I
> know are CoreAVC and Nero, which don't depend on slices.

Interesting. Do you happen to know what coding feature they use for
parallelism? Parallel decoding of multiple frames?

> Dunno how Apple's works.

Apple uses slices. The H.264 trailers you can download from apple.com
have up to 9 slices per frame.

I would really appreciate if this feature could come back. I wouldn't
mind if it was entirely orthogonal to the threading, because I don't
need the slices for parallel encoding. I use them with a modified
version of FFmpeg for research on parallel decoding. I also have
patches here that enable x264 to use arbitrary macroblocks to start a
new slice, not just the first in a row.

Michael