[x264-devel] Re: x264 licensing

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller christian at fluendo.com
Wed Feb 8 10:00:14 CET 2006

Hi David,
We don't have any patented custom code, the code in question would be
the x264 code itself. Most of our customers are currently US based and
there are patents on the h264 codec being enforced by the courts in the
US. So we would need to take out a license with MPEGLA for H264 to
distribute anything based on x264.

Switching to the LGPL would make things better for the GStreamer project
as we do strongly prefer LGPL or similarly licensed libraries to go with
that, but for Fluendo it wouldn't solve anything. Clause 11 of the LGPL
makes it impossible for us to distribute x264 as part of a commercial
offering as we can not possible offer to pay the patent license for
everyone receiving copies of the code.

If you are considering a re-license to a more permissive license then
the MPL 1.1 license would be LGPL like yet handle patents in a way that
lets us use and contribute to x264. The MPL refers to a LEGAL file which
can include information about 3rd party IP claims.

This is why we used the MPL for the MPEG2 Program and Transport Stream
demuxer we released recently:
https://core.fluendo.com/gstreamer/svn/trunk/gst-fluendo-mpegdemux/

Christian