[x264-devel] Multipass encoding with CBR

Josef Zlomek josef.zlomek at xeris.cz
Tue Feb 21 15:15:22 CET 2006

Hello,

I want to create a h264 stream for streaming by multipass encoding.
Because the video will be streamed, the bitrate can't be more than
few percent greater than requested value.

I am using 3-pass encoding (1st pass creates log, 2nd pass reads and write it
and 3rd pass reads it).
Although I have set following parameters controlling bitrate, the output
bitrate is much higher in some small parts of the stream than the requested
bitrate (wanted 1500, reached 2650 on one 1 second interval).

The params (FPS is 25):
  params->rc.b_cbr = TRUE;
  params->rc.i_bitrate = 1500;
  params->rc.i_vbv_max_bitrate = 1500;
  params->rc.i_vbv_buffer_size = 1500;
  params->rc.f_rate_tolerance = 0.05;

Is it possible to make x264 create a h264 stream that uses multipass
encoding and that does not overflow the wanted bitrate (by more than
few percent) ?

Thanks.

Regards,

Josef